Director Corporate Real Estate Design & Construction
Job Location: Richmond, VA
Director, Corporate Real Estate - Design & Construction-742768
Capital One is a diversified bank that offers a broad array of financial products and services to consumers, small business and commercial clients. Ranked #127 on the Fortune 500, Capital One is one of the nation’s top 10 banks and has one of the most widely recognized brands in America. We nurture a work environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, guided by our shared Values, come together to make Capital One a great company and a great place to work.
Capital One’s Workplace Solutions organization manages an expanding portfolio of approximately 150 properties totaling 11 million square feet. Our portfolio is actively expanding as we are opening new spaces in major cities including New York, Chicago, McLean, Dallas, Richmond and Wilmington DE. Our department follows the company culture in embracing and driving a stated innovation agenda. Our department is responsible for traditional Corporate Real Estate functions including; client management, footprint strategy, space planning, real estate transactions, design and construction, and facilities management.
Workplace Solutions is also responsible for food and dining services, conference center management, fitness centers, associate parking and transportation. Workplace Solutions is organized regionally with six U.S. regions spanning 25 states and one non-U.S. region with properties in Canada, India, the UK and the Philippines. The Workplace Solutions organization includes approximately 100 Capital One associates and 250 teammates from industry-leading outsourced service providers.
Capital One is seeking a high-performing, experienced professional to lead Design and Construction in the Central Virginia Region. The largest of the six regions at ~2.3 million square feet, the Central Virginia region makes up nearly a quarter of Capital One’s real estate portfolio and is home to 30% of Capital One’s 40,000 workforce. The centerpiece of the region is Capital One’s 300-acre, 14-building campus which was originally developed in 2002 and has expanded over the years including the delivery of two buildings and a parking garage completed in 2013. The Director of Design and Construction in the Central Virginia Region will be responsible for the delivery of all capital projects in the region from feasibility studies and options development, scope and budget development, procurement, design, construction, closeout and turnover to operations. The Director will manage a team of in-house and outsourced staff and oversee a network of suppliers to manage a portfolio of projects. The scope of the project portfolio for the CVA region will range from 30 – 50 projects totaling $50 - $75 million annually.
- Accountable for all Design and Construction activity for the Central Virginia Region
- Lead and manage activity from feasibility and solutions development phase through closeout and turnover to operations for a portfolio of dozens of active projects at any given time
- Manage a team of in-house project managers and coordinators and dedicated, outsourced project managers and construction administrators (outsourced)
- Partner with procurement organization to secure General Contractors, Architects, Engineering firms and other services and hard goods for capital projects
- Develop and manage annual Capital budgets including estimating, forecasting and adjusting based on corporate direction
- Develop, execute and optimize processes and procedures in a controlled, well-managed and efficient manner to optimize project outcomes
- Implement and utilize leading tools and techniques to optimize project outcomes
- Institute a data-driven culture for planning, measuring, decision-making and reporting throughout the project management lifecycle to ensure optimal balance of cost, quality, risk and speed
- Integrate with key partners (end users, IT, procurement, facilities management, space planning) in developing and delivery of solutions
- Bachelor’s degree or Military experience
- 5 years of experience in design and construction within corporate real estate
- 5 years of experience in Project Management
- 2 years of experience in People Management
- At least 10 years of applicable professional experience in the Design and Construction industry, preferably as an owner/end user with a focus on ground-up construction and office interiors fit-outs
- Proven leadership track record and positive reputation with clients, superiors, business partners and direct reports
- Large corporate environment experience where coordination and collaboration across multiple organizations is required and essential in achieving objectives
- Experience in developing and managing capital budgets
- Familiarity with design and implementation of critical systems, backup power and building infrastructure
- Expertise in estimating cost and delivery timelines for large-scale construction projects
- Professional certifications such as PMP, LEED Accreditation
- Experience in building, developing and motivating high performance teams
- Capable of managing multiple, concurrent efforts effectively
- Ability to communicate technical real estate concepts and subject matter effectively to a variety of audiences and levels
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Capital One is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace.
Job Corporate Real Estate and Facilities Management
Primary Location United States-Virginia-Richmond-Richmond-West Creek 5 (12075)
Travel Yes, 25 % of the Time